Top 4 Bathroom Remodel Mistakes and How To Avoid Them!
Although it is not always the first thing that comes to people’s minds when thinking about home improvements, a dream bathroom makes a huge difference in a home. Bathroom remodeling can often take a backseat to other, more public-facing rooms in a home like a kitchen or living room. However, putting the thoughts, time, and energy into making your dream bathroom come to life can be just as important. A bathroom that stands up to the demands and needs of your home is an important foundation that will improve your daily life.
If your bathroom is not up to par, it could be time to start thinking about remodeling. Before jumping right into a remodeling project and finding yourself in over your head, it is vital to understand exactly what you are taking on and some common bathroom remodel mistakes to avoid.
What is the difference between a bathroom remodel vs. a renovation?
First, it is important to understand the distinction between a bathroom remodel and a bathroom renovation. The uninitiated may be tempted to use these terms interchangeably, but the terminology is important, especially if you plan on using a professional contractor.
Renovation is the process of updating the look and feel of a location without any changes to the structure or function. Typically a renovation is only “skin deep,” like a fresh coat of paint and some updated hardware. Consider a renovation like a facelift that looks to improve the appearance of your bathroom.
On the other hand, a remodel is more like reconstructive surgery and aims to improve the room on a functional and structural level. A remodel often includes tasks like ripping out a wall to expand the size of a room and reconfiguring the layout of the room’s fixtures.
Am I qualified to remodel my bathroom?
Remodeling a bathroom is no small task; it is important to understand what you will get into by taking on this feat. A bathroom remodel requires a range of technical skills. To properly remodel a bathroom, you should be proficient in plumbing, electrical wiring, flooring, working with drywall, and comfortable installing fixtures like sinks, showers, and toilets.
Take on your bathroom remodel when…
- You have a large amount of free time- A complete remodel of a bathroom can take a long time, and if you are not able to focus an adequate amount of your free time on the remodel, then your home runs the risk of being left without a functioning bathroom for an extended period of time.
- You have experience with plumbing, wiring, flooring, drywall, and installing fixtures- A bathroom remodel requires all of the skills and knowledge a standard room would, plus the addition of plumbing and other more complicated amenities. To bring your dream bathroom to life, you must be experienced in all construction areas.
- You are looking to save on the cost of labor- If you are concerned about budget, then the first place many people look to save on labor costs is by taking on a remodeling project themselves. It is crucial to consider the cost of fixing any errors you might make if you are not experienced.
- You only want easy, small-scale changes- Sometimes, you don’t need any drastic measures to turn your bathroom into the bathroom of your dreams. If a remodel only requires small or very simple changes, then it can be a good idea to do it yourself.
Hire a pro for your bathroom remodel when…
- You don’t have the time- A full remodel can take some time to complete, so if you do not have the time to complete the project hiring a professional is recommended.
- You only have one bathroom- If you only have one bathroom in your home, the speed and efficiency of the remodel become even more critical. A professional will minimize the risk of mishaps extending the time your bathroom is out of commission.
- You don’t have the experience- If you do not have prior experience remodeling a bathroom then it is probably a good idea to hire a professional who is comfortable with the many skills necessary to handle all of the plumbing, wiring, and installation of bathroom fixtures.
- You plan on big structural changes- Depending on the scale of your changes, it might be a good idea to hire a professional. It can be easy for people attempting a DIY project to bite off more than they can chew. The bigger the project the harder it is to handle by yourself.
Ready to remodel? Watch out for these 4 mistakes!
There is a potential for mistakes to be made in any bathroom remodeling project. Even mistakes that can be considered minor oversights like the wrong paint choice, tile patterns, and placement of fixtures can be costly. That is why it is essential to be on the lookout to avoid any mistakes, big or small, that you will regret down the road. Below are our top four bathroom remodeling mistakes to avoid.
Don’t underestimate your budget!
Budgeting properly is an important part of any bathroom renovation or remodeling project. It is common for many homeowners to underestimate the budget of a bathroom project. A budget can get ruined in a couple of ways throughout the remodeling process. First, depending on your end vision, the raw materials needed can add up. Another area homeowners run into issues regarding their budget is underestimating the cost of labor from a professional contractor.
Contractors familiar with bathroom remodeling are highly skilled, and their rates reflect that. This is one area of the budget that homeowners should not compromise on, as a skilled contractor is often the difference between a functioning bathroom and a disaster. The last way, and the fastest way, that homeowners blow their budget is by going over the top with needless and expensive gadgets and add-ons. Before shopping for these, it can be a good idea to visit a high-end spa and test them out before committing to them.
Don’t forget about the lighting.
Lighting is often an overlooked aspect of every bathroom remodel. The role of proper lighting can not be overstated. A bathroom needs to serve a variety of purposes. It is where you get ready in the morning and unwind in the evening. The lighting needs to be bright enough to illuminate your face enough for shaving, makeup, and any other grooming needs, yet not too harsh and overpowering to prevent you from unwinding and relaxing in a bubble bath. Lights can also be used to highlight artwork or accent features in your remodel to set your bathroom apart. When planning your dream bathroom, keep lighting in mind from the start of the process.
Not enough ventilation is a serious problem!
Not having enough ventilation or proper ventilation is one of the worst bathroom remodeling mistakes you can make. Without adequate ventilation, moisture can build up in your bathroom, which increases the risk of developing mold. Mold can quickly turn the bathroom of your dreams into a nightmare. Mold can reap havoc on your bathroom and even cause health concerns for inhabitants. There are many technical considerations when it comes to properly installing your ventilation system. Generally, ventilation requires access to an outside wall as this is the easiest place to install. Additionally, certain specifics may require specific considerations like if your toilet is a distance from your shower, you may consider installing two separate ventilation systems, one for each.
Know when to hire a professional!
Without a doubt, one of the biggest bathroom remodeling pitfalls is underestimating the difficulty of taking a remodeling project head-on. You might have high expectations of building the bathroom of your dreams all by yourself, but when you are standing there with a wrench in your hand and water rushing past you down the hallway, you will have wished you had called in a professional instead. A lot of technical skills are needed to pull off a bathroom remodel successfully, and if you are not experienced, it will pay off, in the long run, to use a professional contractor instead.
A certified professional you can trust!
Now that you know the bathroom remodeling do’s and dont’s you are equipped with the knowledge to start planning the bathroom remodel or renovation of your dreams. If you are looking for a professional to help make your dreams a reality, Outlook Construction & Remodeling in Flagstaff has the professionals with the experience needed to deliver. Whether you already have your project planned or are looking for remodeling bathroom ideas, Stephen Ehrenreich, owner of Outlook Construction & Remodeling, Inc., has over 30 years of experience in the construction industry and can make your dreams come true. Contact us today if you would like to share your bathroom remodeling dreams.
See also: Home Renovation Costs in 2023